Pets are quite vulnerable to accidental ingestion of household poisons because of their curious personalities. Let’s face it, when our cats and dogs find something that interests them, they often smell, taste, and swallow that item – no matter how dangerous it may be.

During National Poison Prevention Month – Westfield Veterinary Group encourages all pet parents to poison-proof their home, garage, and yard for potential pet toxins.

Here are the top poisons that need to be out of paws’ reach:

Items poisonous to dogs:

  1. Chocolate
  2. Mouse and rat poisons (rodenticides)
  3. Anti-inflammatory medications
  4. Xylitol (sugar-free gum and more)
  5. Grapes, raisins, onions and garlic
  6. Antidepressant medications
  7. Acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol)
  8. Vitamin D
  9. Stimulant medications (e.g., for ADD/ADHD)
  10. Fertilizers

Items poisonous to cats:

  1. Lilies (Lilium species)
  2. Spot-on flea/tick medication for dogs
  3. Household cleaners
  4. Antidepressant medications
  5. Essential oils
  6. Anti-inflammatory medications
  7. Mouse and rat poisons (rodenticides)
  8. Stimulant medications (e.g., for ADD/ADHD)
  9. Onions and garlic
  10. Vitamin D

The most common signs of pet poisoning include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Drooling/hyper-salivating
  • Lack of appetite
  • Nausea
  • Pale gums+
  • Lethargy
  • Excessive thirst
  • Decreased or absent urination

If your pet does get its paws on a dangerous item, come immediately to our Emergency Room at 1325 Morris Ave. in Union, New Jersey. Our team is here 24/7/365.

Once you and your pet arrive at our ER, we usually contact ASPCA Poison Control. This extra precaution provides pet parents with a case number to reference – and gives our veterinarians the opportunity to speak directly to 24/7 board-certified toxicologists that provide our team with specialized treatment recommendations.

*Please note that contacting ASPCA does incur a fee – but if your pet is microchipped by Home Again, the brand of microchips used at WVG, the fee is waived.

Pet parents are also able to contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center directly at (888) 426-4435.