We know that a cancer diagnosis is scary and the decisions you’ll need to make can be stressful and confusing. Know that we are here for you and your pet, every step of the way, with the most advanced and effective cancer treatments for your pet – as well as the compassion, support, and guidance you and your family need. Westfield Veterinary Group offers oncology services at both our Westfield and Union, NJ, locations in partnership with Private Veterinary Specialties, LLC – a veterinary oncology exclusive practice.
Every cancer is treated differently, and depending on the type and stage of cancer your pet may receive several different treatments. The goal with cancer treatment is to eradicate cancer if possible, and if not, to maintain quality of life by reducing side effects and providing appropriate pain medication and management. Dogs and cats often do quite well with cancer treatments, including chemotherapy and radiation. Most only suffer mild side effects if any – including some nausea, vomiting, and lethargy – and bounce back quickly.
Treatments available for pets with cancer*:
- Chemotherapy: Medication used to control the spread of cancer cells
- Radiation: Used to destroy or reduce tumors. Radiation is often used in combination with other treatments, and can also be used palliatively to reduce pain and symptoms
- Immunotherapy: The use of antibodies to boost the body’s natural immune response to fight the cancer
- Surgery: The physical removal of tumors. In some cases, surgery can completely remove the cancerous cells, and it’s often used in combination with radiation or chemotherapy
- Pain management and palliative care: To keep your pet happy, comfortable, and active for as long as possible
If you have any questions about cancer in your pet, or our oncology services, please feel free to contact us at (908) 232-1048.
*Not all services are available onsite.